Tuesday, 22 July 2014

Finally! A webapp that answers my most burning question

What would I look like as a blocky green man in an uncomfortable position
This Motorcycle Ergonomics web app gives you the greatest gift a web app can: the ability to imagine oneself as a square-ish, green person. It then allows you to place this simulacrum on a variety of bikes from a pretty extensive list of manufacturers.

In theory this should take the guess work out of picking a new bike. It quantifies the ergonomics of a machine while giving you a visual representation of the position the rider would adopt.

In reality though, it's more a trivia fact machine. I sincerely hope I am not breaking new ground here when I say that bikes are visceral objects, meant to be touched and felt. The numbers provided are just that; numbers. Sure, they may quantify your degree of comfort (or the opposite) but ultimately we're all still gonna buy the bikes we want, regardless of how comfortable they may or may not be.

This app is a brilliant idea and one that has been executed with thoroughness and aplomb. But, if you're anything like me, you'll just wind up using it to torture the green man.

No comments:

Post a Comment